Sunday, October 21, 2012

boom bang crash

As you can tell, I haven't been on much lately. But, I feel like it's for justified reasons.. 

First, I got sicker than a dog. Upper respiratory flu, laid up in bed for three days. Yuck.


Dave and Dr. Clark posing for a picture in 2011.
I finally started felling better as the week started, but I ended up missing my first class Tuesday (Blogging with Dr. Clark). And of course, the day I miss is the day that Dave Rhea came to speak to our class.

Dave has held the position of managing editor for online products The Journal Record Publishing Company (a division of The Dolan Company) in Oklahoma City for the past three years. From August 2004 to November 2008, Dave was the Interactive Editor for the Ocala Star-Banner Newspaper, a division of The New York Times Company out of Ocala, Florida.

 

Interestingly enough, Dave's first career wasn't in the news business. From 2000 to 2004, Dave was part of the post-grunge rock band, Dust For Life. For most of 2001, they toured all over North America with 3 Doors Down, Creed, The Cult, and Saliva. To the right is the music video for "Step Into The Light," the band's first single released in 2001.

On his personal website, Dave says that he is "a musician, a writer, a videographer – those are what I am most creatively passionate about, in all those cases I am acting as a story teller." I think that is an amazing way to look at how writing is important in any career and creates meaning in life.

 

Second reason I have been away:


I was in a wreck in my brand new 2012 Mazda2, ironically on the same day I started feeling better. A lady cut me off and I didn't have time to stop before I hit her. I had to get a tow to the shop, and the rest of my day was pretty much filled with phone calls to work, the body shop, doctor, and mostly insurance companies.


Sigh. Wrecks always happen at the worst times. Oh well. No one was hurt, just a little banged up. Now to proceed through the next few weeks dealing with insurance companies. Hooray!

Anyway, I am trying to get back into the swing of things. So be looking for more updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment